Monday, February 10, 2014

Dora's Delicious Blueberry Muffins !

During my last visit to the local library, as I was walking the aisles, selecting books for my family; I noticed that my younger son(aged 3) had selected a few himself. I gave them all a cursory glance, making sure that they would be suitable for his age and his interests and then checked them out. When I came back home and sat with LG3 to read the books, I realized that the Dora and Diego book that I had assumed was a storybook, was in actuality a recipe book for kids ! When I asked the little one why he had selected that book, he quipped that he wanted to see all the snack pictures in there !!
Then last week, I decided to bake the yummy looking blueberry muffins listed in the book. I already had some fresh blueberries and the cornmeal needed in the recipe. The batter was extremely easy to whip up and took me about 15 minutes to get into the oven. 20 minutes later, we had piping hot scrumptious looking mini muffins on the cooling rack.

IMAG1377

Ingredients:
½ C unbleached all purpose flour
½ C white whole wheat flour
⅓ C cornmeal
⅓ C packed brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
⅔ C low fat plain yogurt ( I used homemade)
¼ C canola oil
1 flax egg (1 Tbsp ground flax + 3 Tbsp water, beaten well)
1 tsp cornstarch
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
1 C fresh or frozen blueberries (I used fresh)

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to &deg(375);F. Line a mini muffin pan with liners or spray lightly with cooking spray.
2.Combine the flours, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and cornstarch. Whisk well. Reserve two tablespoons of this mixture.
3.In another bowl, combine the yogurt, oil, flax egg and vanilla. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and combine gently. Add the blueberries to the reserved flour mixture and coat well. Then add the blueberries to the batter and fold in gently.
4. Divide the batter among the muffin cups and bake for about 15 - 17 minutes, until tops are golden brown.
5. Cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, before removing onto a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Enjoy lovely muffins, bursting with juicy blueberries !


Notes:
1. The addition of cornmeal to the batter gave a wonderful texture to the muffins. They weren't pasty or dense, instead they were really light and airy, bursting with the goodness of fresh blueberries.
2. As usual, these mini goodies made their way into lunchboxes and traveled really well.
3. These can be frozen nicely too and will keep for several days(if they stay undiscovered that long !

2 comments:

  1. Little one is turning out be a chef....good job LG3!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if he is going to start helping me in the kitchen any time soon, but at least as long as he's eating what comes from the kitchen, I am not complaining !!

      Delete

Share your thoughts!