Sunday, March 18, 2012

Spicy Tomato Jam

I had been on the lookout for a tomato jam recipe for some time.Although I had made jam a couple of times before, I am no expert when it comes to preserving fruit ! That's when I came across this recipe and it looked intriguing and delicious.. When my local Sprouts Farmers market had a 3lb/1$ tomato sale, I knew it was time to get busy in the kitchen...with jam, that is !
I made a few changes to the recipe. It turned out really well. I think this recipe is a keeper !

IMAG0465

Ingredients:
2 lb tomatoes (I used roma tomatoes) - chopped
1 C brown sugar
2 Tbsp lime or lemon juice
1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
1 tsp ground roasted cumin
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp - 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Method:
1. Mix all the ingredients in a heavy bottomed pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
2. Reduce the heat and then simmer for about 1.5 hours until the mixture reaches a jam consistency.
3. Stir often to prevent the jam from sticking to the bottom of the pan.

This recipe yielded about 2 cups of jam...I poured it into a previously cleaned jam bottle with a tight lid.
Since we were going to use it daily, I didn't refrigerate it, but you could do that to extend its life !

Notes:
1. I used brown sugar instead of white, because the brown sugar gives a depth of flavor to the jam. Next time, I will try with a little less sugar..I might have to simmer for longer to get the desired consistency.
2. I roasted the cumin before grinding it. The roasted cumin has a bolder, smokier taste.
3. Since my Indian palette can accommodate more heat, I used about 1/ 2 tsp of cayenne pepper...feel free to adjust to your taste and preference.

The jam goes well in PBJ sandwiches and also pairs up well with chapatis (Indian flat bread) and dosas (Indian crepes).
Do give this recipe a try..you will not be disappointed !

Have you ever tried any home made jam recipes ? Any observations or tips ??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!