Monday, August 22, 2011

In the Blink of an eye

It was just a little over 5 years ago that my husband and I went from being a couple to a family. Little P1 came into this world and changed our lives forever. The initial few months flew past in a blur of first time parental anxiety and sleeplessness.Once we became a little confident about being able to handle a little child, we began enjoying parenting in earnest, reveling in each smile, every step and every new antic :)
The days just flew by so fast, weeks turned to months and months turned to years. Little P1 became a strapping,active toddler and soon started attending a Montessori school. I went through a difficult time making the decision to send him to school while I myself went back to work. I even shed some tears at this separation, but I was amazed at the eagerness and excitement that P1 took to school, just like a duck takes to water...he didn't shed a single tear and happily went with his teachers.
He thrived in school, absorbing everything that was taught. He made a lot of friends, playing, fighting and then making up.
Days flew by again. We celebrated birthdays, attended functions with our friends, celebrated festivals, even mourned the passing away of close family and also added another little member to the family.
Even though all these events and activities signaled a passage of time, I hadn't really given it more than a passing thought.
But this year, my little first born turned 5 (sigh). He started public school this year.We took a tour of his new elementary school, met his teachers, bought him new clothes and backpacks and lunch bags.
Today is his first day of school and I am feeling a tug at my heartstrings again. P1 has entered a whole new world and I am sure that he will be introduced to a lot of different things.
He will learn to be more independent and will want to make more decisions for himself.
He will learn to make new friends and get along with everybody.
He will have fun with his playmates and might get into trouble too.
He will learn new ideas in school and my husband and I will have to learn along with him just to keep up!
In the blink of an eye my son has gone from being a helpless infant to a strong willed independent kindergartner.Although I am nostalgic for the days when I pushed him around in a stroller and watched him go to sleep in the crook of my neck, I am just as eager to make new memories with him. In these past few years, I have made some discoveries too.
I have learnt that it is more advantageous to live in the present as much as possible.
I have learnt that small issues are not worth sweating over. They will pass.
I have learnt that simple activities with my children will be cherished.
I have realized that my children look to me for assurance and inspiration and I cannot fail them.
I have read that I am responsible to my children and not for them.
I have understood that life passes you by in the blink of an eye and I need to make sure that I am not caught unawares.

Here's to all of you out there, especially parents. Here's hoping that you have fun and joy and excitement and love in the present,
because you never know where you might find yourself in the next blink !

6 comments:

  1. Going thro' similar thoughts, time & mood. Beautifully framed.Good Luck to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Muse, @Springbird : Thank you for your kind comments !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You for Sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I joined your blog to stay connected. Would you please also follow my blog on GFC? http://detroitmomandherviews.blogspot.com
    Thanks & Warm Regards
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts!